- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 quart Sam Adams octoberfest beer
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 quarts shredded cheddar (approx. 2 pounds)
1. To Prepare: Melt butter on medium heat in a stock pot.
2. Add the all-purpose flour to melted butter and stir until combined and light brown in color, with no lumps.
3. Add the Samuel Adams Octoberfest and whisk until smooth, then heavy cream and salt. Continually whisk and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, add the cheese, whisking quickly to incorporate.
5. To Serve: Transfer sauce to a 1/3 steamwell pan and hold between 140-165°F for up to 4 hours. Keep covered. Do not overheat.
6. If preparing in a larger batch and chilling, follow directions in step 7.
7. To Chill & Store: Transfer to storage container, chill to 70°F within 2 hours and down to 40°F or below within an additional 4 hours. Utilize within 5 days.